Severe Weather Conditions and Lawsuit Plague Florida Amidst Thunderstorm Warnings
Florida is facing severe weather conditions this week, with the National Weather Service issuing severe thunderstorm warnings for various parts of the state. On Wednesday, a severe thunderstorm watch was in effect for central Florida, including all of Broward and Miami-Dade counties, due to the threat of large hail and wind gusts in excess of 60 mph. The Florida Public Radio Emergency Network warned of the possibility of baseball-sized hail, isolated tornadoes, and flooding. The severe weather conditions are expected to continue through the weekend, with more rounds of rain and isolated to scattered severe storms.
The risk of rip currents is also expected to rise mid-week, particularly in coastal Palm Beach. The Storm Prediction Center has issued an enhanced risk of severe weather for many parts of Florida, including the Tampa Bay area. The threat is expected to shift eastwards towards the Palmetto State by Saturday.
Disney Parks and Resorts have filed a lawsuit against Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and his oversight board, accusing them of engaging in a “campaign of government retaliation.” The lawsuit comes as severe weather conditions continue to plague the state, with reports of golf ball-sized hail, winds over 60 mph, and tornadoes being a possibility.
The National Weather Service has issued warnings for the possibility of severe thunderstorms with golf ball-sized hail, wind gusts, and small or severe hail. Lightning is also a concern, with the service warning against it being one of nature's leading killers.
The severe weather conditions are expected to subside by Sunday as cold fronts move through the state, bringing drier air for next week. Despite the severity of the weather conditions, there have been no reports of major damage or injuries so far.
0. “Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach under severe thunderstorm watch” WPLG Local 10, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.local10.com/news/local/2023/04/26/miami-dade-broward-palm-beach-under-severe-thunderstorm-watch/
1. “Florida weather forecast: Storms could bring huge hail, tornadoes” Daytona Beach News-Journal, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.news-journalonline.com/story/weather/severe/2023/04/26/florida-weather-forecast-severe-storms-could-bring-large-hail-tornadoes-heavy-downpours-strong-winds/70153165007
2. “Significant severe weather expected across Florida today through this weekend” WGCU, 26 Apr. 2023, https://news.wgcu.org/section/weather/2023-04-26/significant-severe-weather-expected-across-florida-today-through-this-weekend
3. “More storms return Wednesday, some could be strong to severe” WPEC, 25 Apr. 2023, https://cbs12.com/news/local/west-palm-beach-vero-beach-weather-forecast-tuesday-april-25-shower-warm-showers-rain-storm-thunderstorms-severe-downpour-flooding-lightning
4. “Large Hail a Threat For Southeast Polk Today” Lake Wales News, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.lakewalesnews.net/story/2023/04/26/news/large-hail-a-threat-for-southeast-polk-today/3634.html
5. “Forecast: Inland storms Tuesday” ABC7 News, 25 Apr. 2023, https://abc-7.com/weather/forecast/2023/04/25/forecast-inland-storms-tuesday/
6. “Weather alert: Severe thunderstorm watch issued in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, other areas” Miami Herald, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather-news/article274748546.html
7. “Severe Weather Alert Issued for Walt Disney World Area Tuesday Evening” The DIS, 25 Apr. 2023, https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/severe-weather-alert-issued-for-walt-disney-world-area-tuesday-evening/
8. “Damaging winds possible Saturday as cold front sweeps through state” WLRN, 20 Apr. 2023, https://www.wlrn.org/2023-04-20/damaging-winds-possible-saturday-as-cold-front-sweeps-through-state