Plan Ahead for Wintry Mix: MassDOT Warns of Icy Conditions for Thursday Travel in New England
Residents of Massachusetts and the rest of New England are advised to plan ahead if traveling Thursday as a winter weather advisory is in effect through 4 a.m.  Mixed precipitation is expected to create challenging driving conditions and poor visibility. Areas north of the Massachusetts Turnpike are likely to see up to one inch of snow, while those further south could expect a coating to two inches. Additionally, ice accumulations of up to one quarter of an inch are possible in some areas, along with one tenth of an inch in many other parts of the state.
The National Weather Service (NWS) Boston office has warned of a prolonged period of a wintry mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain. A 40 mph speed restriction is in place on the Massachusetts Turnpike from the New York border to Boston, according to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT). As temperatures drop throughout the day, the slick roads will turn icy and uncleared snowpack will freeze, causing a “flash freeze” of snow and sleet.
According to Boston 25 Meteorologist Shiri Spear, if your vacation week plans are flexible, Thursday is an ideal day to restrict travel and stay at home.
NWS has responded to approximately 30 vehicles off the road and crashes since 11 p.m. Wednesday night, according to the New Hampshire State Police. The agency urged drivers to reduce their speed, leave extra space between the car ahead of them and drive according to current conditions.
After the precipitation leaves early Friday, a brief arctic blast will hit and carry into Saturday. Temperatures will fall from the 30s in the morning to teens and 20s by sunset, along with a bitterly cold and gusty northwestern wind.
Despite a decrease in precipitation this afternoon, the cold weather persists. We are immensely grateful for your reports and photos that you have shared with us at Boston25, so that others can view the conditions!pic.twitter.com/SKH26ddvEX
MassDOT has a total of 1255 pieces of equipment deployed for storm operations. Residents are warned to use caution while driving during icy conditions Thursday with cold weather continuing  MassDOT reminded drivers to not use cruise control in wintry conditions.
So, plan ahead if you’re traveling Thursday and stay safe in the wintry mix.
0. “MassDOT: Wintery Mix Will Make Untreated Surfaces Hazardous” framinghamsource.com, 23 Feb. 2023, https://framinghamsource.com/index.php/2023/02/22/massdot-wintery-mix-will-make-untreated-surfaces-hazardous
1. “Mass. weather: An ‘icy mix’ Thursday followed by arctic blast on Friday” MassLive.com, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.masslive.com/weather/2023/02/mass-weather-an-icy-mix-thursday-followed-by-arctic-blast-on-friday.html
2. “Sloshy weather and slippery roads in New England” WBUR News, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/02/22/boston-forecast-sleet-rain-icy-roads
3. “Massachusetts drivers could face ‘very hazardous’ conditions as wintry mix slicks roads, power outages possible” Boston Herald, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/02/22/massachusetts-drivers-could-face-very-hazardous-conditions-as-wintry-mix-slicks-roads-power-outages-possible/
4. “Dozens of Crashes in Mass., New Hampshire Amid Icy Conditions” NBC10 Boston, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/speed-restriction-in-place-on-mass-pike-amid-icy-conditions/2980648/
5. “‘Limit travel': Wintery mix causing hazardous travel conditions for morning commute” msnNOW, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/limit-travel-wintery-mix-causing-hazardous-travel-conditions-for-morning-commute/ar-AA17PgSR?ocid=weather-verthp-feeds
6. “Dozens of crashes on roads across region as snow, sleet, rain wreaks havoc on morning commuters” Yahoo News, 23 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/dozens-crashes-roads-across-region-122117201.html
7. “‘A sloppy mess’ on the way to Massachusetts: National Weather Service warns of slippery travel” Boston Herald, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/02/21/a-sloppy-mess-on-the-way-to-massachusetts-national-weather-service-warns-of-slippery-travel