Newlywed Couple Rescued from Elevator by Charlotte Fire Department on Post-Wedding Reception
On February 19, the Charlotte Fire Department shared a post on Facebook recounting their rescue mission of a newlywed couple and four other guests stuck in an elevator at a post-wedding reception in uptown Charlotte. Victoria and Panav Jha had been on the 16th floor of the Grand Bohemian Hotel when the elevator malfunctioned, trapping them inside.
The firefighters tried to repair the elevator but had to resort to a ‘rope rescue’ when that did not work. They first pried open the top of the elevator and then pulled all six people up to the fourth floor one by one. After they were rescued, the couple, the firefighters, and the four other guests posed for a picture.
Victoria told Queen City News: “The elevator had a glitch and here we are. It had to happen with the groom and I both stuck in the elevator. So, at least it wasn’t just one of us.” For the rescue mission, the firefighters harnessed Victoria up and pulled her up four floors with one of them.
The Charlotte Fire Department wrote in their post: “Mr and Mrs Jha, we hope today is the start of a long and happy life together.” A Facebook user commented: “Congratulations 🎉 on the rescue! That was Test #1 on the marriage and they are both smiling so many wishes for a very happy life together❤️”
One of the users wrote: “Congratulations on the rescue! That was Test #1 on the marriage, and they are both smiling so many wishes for a very happy life together.”
The couple spoke about the incident with the media. Panav said: “When it first happened, I thought it had stopped for a few seconds. It’ll restart. And then we noticed that the door was just slightly ajar.” Victoria added: “It’s kind of like a blessing in disguise. I’d like to say I can’t imagine if this was me alone or him alone, at least we got to spend it together, so that’s what mattered.”
Panav joked that the moment felt like a scene out of a spy movie: “I would say James Bond. Maybe Mission Impossible.” The couple agreed that the incident would be a story to tell their future children.
0. “#GoodNews: Firefighters Rescue Bride & Groom Trapped In Elevator” iHeart, 23 Feb. 2023, https://wkdd.iheart.com/content/2023-02-23-goodnews-firefighters-rescue-bride-groom-trapped-in-elevator/
1. “Indian Couple Stuck In Elevator For 2 Hours In US Misses Their Wedding Reception” ABP Live, 24 Feb. 2023, https://news.abplive.com/offbeat/indian-couple-stuck-in-elevator-for-2-hours-in-us-misses-their-wedding-reception-1584344
2. “Bride, wedding party rescued from stuck North Carolina hotel elevator” WXII12 Winston-Salem, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.wxii12.com/article/north-carolina-bride-wedding-party-rescued-elevator/42994558
3. “Bride and groom miss own wedding reception after getting trapped in lift” Daily Star, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/bride-groom-miss-wedding-reception-29293823
4. “Bride and Groom Miss Their Entire Wedding Reception After Being Stuck In An Elevator For Several Hours” Hollywood Unlocked, 23 Feb. 2023, https://hollywoodunlocked.com/couple-misses-entire-wedding-reception-after-being-stuck-in-elevator/
5. “Couple misses their reception after getting stuck in an elevator” Hindustan Times, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.hindustantimes.com/trending/couple-misses-their-reception-after-getting-stuck-in-an-elevator-rescued-by-fire-department-101677156431256.html
6. “Bride and groom miss wedding reception after getting trapped in elevator” The Independent, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/groom-bride-elevator-wedding-hotel-b2288268.html
7. “I got trapped in an elevator and missed my own wedding reception” New York Post , 23 Feb. 2023, https://nypost.com/2023/02/23/i-got-trapped-in-an-elevator-and-missed-my-wedding-reception
8. “Bride and groom spend wedding day stuck in elevator” Geo News, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.geo.tv/latest/472707-bride-and-groom-spend-wedding-day-stuck-in-elevator