Mike Pence Delivers Blistering Rebuke of Donald Trump at Gridiron Club Dinner
Former Vice President Mike Pence delivered a blistering rebuke of his former boss Donald Trump Saturday night at the annual Gridiron Club Dinner in Washington, DC for his role in the January 6th attack on the US Capitol.
“President Trump was wrong,” Pence told assembled journalists and their guests at the Gridiron dinner, an exclusive white-tie event in Washington, D.C. “I had no right to overturn the election, and his reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day. And I know that history will hold Donald Trump accountable for his actions.”
Pence's relationship with Trump has been strained since the two left office, with the former vice president criticising the former president's behaviour but refraining from the most stinging rebukes of Trump. It appears that Pence is now willing to more forcefully distance himself from Trump as the 2024 campaign heats up – even if that means alienating the millions of Republican voters still loyal to the former president.
Pence declared that tourists are not responsible for injuring 140 police officers while sightseeing. “Tourists don’t break down doors to get to the Speaker of the House or voice threats against public officials. It was not, as some would have you believe, tourists visiting the Capitol.”
Pence praised the news media for their work during the attack and for “never stopping reporting”.
Vice President Pence remarked, “Thanks to your steadfastness, we were able to remain in our position. The citizens of the United States are informed of the events of that day due to your continuous coverage.” “Your work inspired our actions and the actions of all the elected officials who reconvened the very same day and turned a day of tragedy into a triumph of freedom.”
Joking about Donald Trump's legal issues, he stated, “Honestly, I learned a great deal being by his side, including information about subpoenas.”
In a nod to his own potential run for president, Pence said “I will wholeheartedly, unreservedly support the Republican nominee for president in 2024…if it’s me.”
Vice President Pence denounced media personalities on the right who have attempted to whitewash the events of January.
0. “Pence says ‘history will hold Donald Trump accountable' for Jan. 6th” The Washington Post, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/03/11/pence-says-history-will-hold-donald-trump-accountable-jan-6th/
1. “‘History will hold Trump accountable’ for Capitol attack: Pence” Al Jazeera English, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/12/pence-says-history-will-hold-trump-accountable-for-capitol-attack
2. “Mike Pence Condemns Tucker Carlson's Portrayal Of January 6th, Says History “Will Hold Donald Trump Accountable …” Deadline, 12 Mar. 2023, https://deadline.com/2023/03/mike-pence-condemns-tucker-carlson-january-6th-hold-trump-accountable-1235286382/
3. “Pence says ‘history will hold Donald Trump accountable' for January 6th” KTVZ, 12 Mar. 2023, https://ktvz.com/news/2023/03/11/pence-says-history-will-hold-donald-trump-accountable-for-january-6th
4. “Pence says ‘history will hold' Trump accountable for Jan. 6 in Gridiron speech” Washington Examiner, 12 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/pence-trump-gridiron-dinner-2023-speech-j6
5. “Pence says “history will hold” Trump “accountable” for his election denial” Sand Hills Express, 12 Mar. 2023, https://sandhillsexpress.com/cbs_politics/pence-says-history-will-hold-trump-accountable-for-his-election-denial-cbsid311684ec