Four Dead and Three Injured in Connected Maine Shootings, Suspect Arrested on Murder Charges
A series of deadly shootings in Maine on Tuesday morning left four people dead and three more injured. The first incident occurred in Bowdoin, a rural farming community about 25 miles north of Portland, where four people were found dead inside a home on Augusta Road. A short time later, just before 10:30 a.m., three people were shot while driving south on Interstate 295 in Yarmouth, about 25 miles south of Bowdoin. Police have confirmed that the two incidents are connected and have arrested a suspect, 34-year-old Joseph Eaton of Bowdoin, on murder charges.
After being shot while driving on the highway, the three victims were transported to a nearby hospital. According to the authorities, one of the victims is currently in critical condition. The corpses of the four individuals discovered deceased in Bowdoin have been transported to the primary medical examiner's facility in Augusta. Here, examinations will be conducted to ascertain the mode and reason of death. The identities of the victims have not yet been established.
Maine Governor Janet Mills expressed her shock and sadness, saying that acts of violence like these “shake our state and our communities to the core.” The Maine Department of Transportation closed the southbound side of I-295 for hours as police investigated, causing a massive traffic backup. The interstate has since been reopened, but the ramp to Exit 15 remains closed.
Investigators are continuing to work on multiple impacted scenes and gather more information. Anyone with information about either shooting is urged to call the Augusta Regional Communications Center. The town of Yarmouth has a population of around 9,000 and is about 12 miles north of Portland. With a populace of approximately 3,000, Bowdoin is a diminutive agricultural community.
The suspect, Joseph Eaton, has a violent criminal history dating back a decade. Eaton was taken to Two Bridges Regional Jail and will make an initial court appearance later in the week. Police have not yet discussed a motive for the shootings. Governor Mills expressed her gratitude to the quick response of state, county, and local law enforcement to protect the people of Maine. The investigation into these tragic incidents is ongoing.
0. “Arrest made in deaths of 4 people in Bowdoin” fox23maine.com, 18 Apr. 2023, https://fox23maine.com/news/local/sagadahoc-county-sheriff-confirms-incident-bowdoin
1. “4 Shot to Death in Maine Home, 3 Shot While Driving on I-295; Man Facing Murder Charges” NECN, 18 Apr. 2023, https://www.necn.com/news/local/part-of-i-295-in-maine-shut-down-due-to-police-response/2965421/
2. “Maine shooting – live: Suspect named after four dead in house and interstate shooting spree” The Independent, 19 Apr. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/maine-yarmouth-shootings-live-updates-b2322141.html
3. “Four found shot dead in Maine home and three others wounded in linked interstate gun battle” Daily Mail, 18 Apr. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11987057/Four-shot-dead-Maine-home-three-wounded-linked-interstate-gun-battle.html
4. “‘Incident' closes southbound lanes of I-295 Yarmouth, police on scene” WMTW Portland, 18 Apr. 2023, https://www.wmtw.com/article/incident-turnpike-yarmouth-police-scene/43632761
5. “A man has been arrested in the killings of 4 people found in a Maine home. Authorities are also investigating highway shootings they say are connected” CNN, 19 Apr. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/us/maine-shooting-bowdoin-yarmouth/index.html
6. “4 dead of gunshot wounds in Maine home, 3 injured in related interstate shooting” New York Daily News, 18 Apr. 2023, https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-maine-home-highway-shooting-suspect-arrested-20230418-nugdoso33fg6vez7yvpwe6txui-story.html
7. “Arrest made after 4 found dead at home, 3 shot on interstate in connected incidents” KFSN-TV, 19 Apr. 2023, https://abc30.com/arrest-made-after-4-found-dead-at-home-3-shot-on-interstate-in-con/13150742