Former President Trump Visits East Palestine After Toxic Spill
On Wednesday, former President Donald Trump visited East Palestine, Ohio, in the wake of a train derailment that led to a toxic spill near the border with Pennsylvania. Trump came to address the concerns of the local residents impacted by the spill, and distributed water bottles to the community.
On February 3rd, a freight train carrying hazardous materials was derailed near East Palestine, resulting in toxic chemicals being released into the air, soil, and local creeks. The derailment has increased scrutiny of railway regulations and calls for reform, as well as raised the issue of providing aid to those affected.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Andrew Bates stated that Congressional Republicans and former Trump administration officials owe East Palestine an apology for selling them out to rail industry lobbyists when they dismantled Obama-Biden rail safety protections as well as EPA powers to rapidly contain spills.
The Biden administration has dispatched federal resources to East Palestine in the weeks following the derailment, although the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has not sent direct financial aid because those affected by this type of accident do not qualify. However, FEMA has provided other assistance.
Trump stated that the community needs answers and results, not excuses, and that is what will be provided. Residents with private wells in the area are encouraged to drink bottled water until the results of samples taken are returned.
It is clear that the situation in East Palestine will require a collective effort to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the community. It remains to be seen what measures will be taken to aid those affected by the toxic spill.
0. “Multiple Federal Agencies Supporting East Palestine, Contrary to Partisan Claims” FactCheck.org, 25 Feb. 2023, https://www.factcheck.org/2023/02/multiple-federal-agencies-supporting-east-palestine-contrary-to-partisan-claims/
1. “Fact Check: Was Trump Water Given to East Palestine Residents 13 Years Old?” Newsweek, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-donald-trump-bottled-water-east-palestine-1783322
2. “White House Blames Republicans, Former Trump Officials for Toxic Chemical Spill in Ohio” The Epoch Times, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.theepochtimes.com/white-house-blames-republicans-former-trump-officials-for-toxic-chemical-spill-in-ohio_5077994.html
3. “Norfolk Southern CEO to testify before Senate next week and ‘share what he knows' about derailment” KTRK-TV, 2 Mar. 2023, https://abc13.com/ohio-train-derailment-norfolk-southern-ceo-testify/12900667/
4. “Trump is taking advantage of the Ohio disaster in a way that’s eerily reminiscent of 2016” The Guardian, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/23/trump-east-palestine-visit-train-2016-election
5. “Biden attacks, McDonald’s and gaffes galore: Inside Trump’s tour of Ohio’s tragic train derailment” The Independent, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-in-ohio-bottled-water-mcdonalds-b2287953.html
6. “Trump in East Palestine: Biden betrayed village | News, Sports, Jobs” Youngstown Vindicator, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.vindy.com/news/local-news/2023/02/trump-in-east-palestine-biden-betrayed-village/