Donald Trump Predicts Arrest in Stormy Daniels Case, Calls for Protests
Former President Donald Trump has predicted his own arrest, claiming on his social media platform Truth Social on Saturday (18 March) that he will be taken into custody by the Manhattan District Attorney's office on Tuesday. This prediction comes as the office investigates his role in a 2016 hush money payment to porn star Stormy Daniels. Trump has denied any wrongdoing.
Trump's post on Truth Social was accompanied by a call for protests, citing “illegal leaks” from a “corrupt” and “highly political Manhattan district attorney’s office.” Trump’s attorney Susan Necheles said his remark was a reaction to media coverage and “the District Attorney’s office has engaged in a practice of leaking everything to the press, rather than communication with President Trump’s attorneys as would be done in a normal case.”
The former president's attorney statement came after a spokesperson said Trump had received no notification an indictment was imminent, but was “rightfully highlighting his innocence” in his post.
The inquiry pertains to the money given to adult movie actress Stormy Daniels in 2016 prior to Trump's triumphant election as president. Daniels alleges that she had a relationship with Trump, however, Trump denies this. His former lawyer, Michael Cohen, pleaded guilty in 2018 to federal charges, including one admitting to a federal campaign finance law violation in connection with the payment.
Trump is also facing an anticipated indictment in Fulton County, Ga., where a district attorney has been investigating his effort to subvert the 2020 election. He is also confronted with more and more severe legal issues due to a special counsel investigation into his attempt to undermine the election and his attempts to stop the government from obtaining numerous confidential national security documents that are held at his Mar-a-Lago estate.
It is being reported that law enforcement officials from municipal, state, and federal levels are making preparations for a potential indictment of Donald Trump as soon as next week, regarding the hush money paid to Stormy Daniels. Ali Alexander, a coordinator of the rallies against voter fraud who is currently collaborating with white nationalist Nick Fuentes for the support of Kanye West, wrote: “Previously, I had said if Trump was arrested or under the threat of a perp walk, 100,000 patriots should shut down all routes to Mar-a-Lago. Now, I’m retired.
0. “Donald Trump says he expects to be arrested on Tuesday” Al Jazeera English, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/18/donald-trump-says-he-expects-to-be-arrested-on-tuesday
1. “Donald Trump arrest: here are the signals so far about what's really happening in New York.” Slate, 18 Mar. 2023, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/donald-trump-arrest-new-york-stormy-daniels-indictment.html
2. “Donald Trump claims he will be arrested Tuesday in Manhattan probe, calls for protests” Yahoo News, 18 Mar. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-claims-arrested-tuesday-123858994.html
3. “What Happens Next If Donald Trump Is Indicted” TIME, 18 Mar. 2023, https://time.com/6264352/donald-trump-arrest-what-happen/
4. “Trump’s Coming Arrest: We Answer the Questions You Were Scared to Ask” Rolling Stone, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/donald-trump-stormy-daniels-arrest-explained-1234699681
5. “Trump predicts imminent arrest, calls for protests” POLITICO, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-tuesday-00087738
6. “Trump claims he ‘will be arrested’ on Tuesday in New York criminal case” The Guardian US, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/18/donald-trump-arrest-stormy-daniels-
7. “Trump news – live: Donald Trump ‘expects to be arrested on Tuesday’ as potential indictment looms” The Independent, 19 Mar. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-indicted-arrested-stormy-daniels-lawyer-b2303773.html