Donald Trump Faces Imminent Arrest in Stormy Daniels Case
Donald Trump is reportedly facing an imminent arrest in connection with an alleged hush money payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels before his election to office in 2016. The former President and 2024 GOP candidate called on his supporters to “protest, take our nation back,” in response to the charges, while his lawyer Susan Necheles said Trump is “basing this on press reports”.
Local, state, and federal law enforcement and security agencies are reportedly preparing for the possibility that the former President may be indicted as early as next week, according to five senior officials familiar with the discussions. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) called for a congressional inquiry into the Manhattan district attorney, saying: “I’m directing relevant committees to immediately investigate if federal funds are being used to subvert our democracy by interfering in elections with politically motivated prosecutions.”
The charges are expected to be brought against Trump over the $130,000 payment made by his former lawyer to Daniels to quiet her claims she had an affair with the former president.  If indicted, Trump would have to go through the same process as any other defendant. He would be booked into jail, finger-printed, and a “mug shot” taken. However, given Trump’s substantial ties to the community, especially his ongoing 2024 presidential campaign, the judge likely wouldn’t deem him a flight risk and would probably immediately release him on bond.
The agencies involved in the case include the NYPD, New York State Court Officers, the U.S. Secret Service, the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, though all have declined to comment. Trump’s Secret Service detail would likely travel with him, but are unlikely to be involved in any arrest process.
As the prospect of Trump’s arrest—the first in history for a former president—raises questions about the process Trump would be subject to during his arrest and trial, it is clear that the former president has a long, sordid, and confusing saga of legal woes. It is still unclear if Trump will indeed be arrested on Tuesday, as he predicted, but it is certain that the event will be unprecedented in American history.
0. “Trump predicts imminent arrest, calls for protests” POLITICO, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-tuesday-00087738
1. “Trump says he expects to be arrested Tuesday as New York law enforcement prepares for possible indictment” CNN, 19 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/18/politics/donald-trump-manhattan-da-arrest-protests/index.html
2. “Donald Trump calls for protests on Truth Social, claiming he will be arrested soon” The Washington Post, 18 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/18/trump-protest-arrest-new-york
3. “Donald Trump arrest: here are the signals so far about what's really happening in New York.” Slate, 18 Mar. 2023, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/donald-trump-arrest-new-york-stormy-daniels-indictment.html
4. “Donald Trump is looking to create ‘violent clash,' Michael Cohen says” New York Post , 18 Mar. 2023, https://nypost.com/2023/03/18/donald-trump-wants-to-create-violent-clash-michael-cohen/
5. “What Happens Next If Donald Trump Is Indicted” TIME, 18 Mar. 2023, https://time.com/6264352/donald-trump-arrest-what-happen/
6. “NYC Security Preps Underway for Possible Trump Indictment as Soon as Next Week: Sources” NBC New York, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigations/nyc-security-preps-underway-for-possible-trump-indictment-as-soon-as-next-week-sources/4160387/
7. “DeSantis can't stop Trump extradition from FL to NY if indicted” Business Insider, 15 Mar. 2023, https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-stop-trump-indictment-extradite-florida-new-york-2023-3