Deadly Shooting in Farmington Leaves Three Dead and Multiple Injured
A shooting in Farmington, New Mexico, has left at least three people dead and multiple others injured, including two law enforcement officials. The suspect, who has been identified as an 18-year-old, was also killed on the scene. According to police, the suspect fired at least three different weapons, including an AR-style rifle, and randomly fired at whatever entered his head to shoot at. The motive is under investigation, but the shooting appears to be random. The incident prompted security lockdowns at several public schools in Farmington, but the lockdowns were lifted after the suspect was neutralized. The Farmington Municipal School District confirmed that all the children and staff were safe.
The two officers who were wounded, one from the Farmington Police Department and one from New Mexico State Police, were taken to San Juan Regional Medical Center and treated for their injuries but are said to be in stable condition. Following the incident, the Phoenix division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) announced that it was “responding to a report of a mass shooting” in Farmington. The Farmington Police Department, San Juan County Sheriff's Office, New Mexico State Police, and the ATF are all investigating the incident.
The Farmington shooting follows a string of recent mass shootings nationwide, with over 200 mass shootings being reported in the US since the beginning of the year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. In response to the incident, New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham said that she was praying for the families of the victims and that the incident “serves as yet another reminder of how gun violence destroys lives in our state and our country every single day”. She also stated that her administration will not stop fighting the epidemic of gun violence from every angle possible.
The Farmington shooting has left the community in shock and mourning, and the investigation into the incident is ongoing.
0. “New Mexico shooting leaves three people dead and nine injured” The Guardian US, 15 May. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/15/new-mexico-shooting-farmington
1. “Farmington shooting: Three civilians killed and two officers shot in New Mexico” Washington Examiner, 15 May. 2023, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/crime/farmington-new-mexico-shooting-three-dead
2. “Farmington Mass Shooting: 2 officers injured, 3 civilians dead and several others injured” KOAT New Mexico, 16 May. 2023, https://www.koat.com/article/farmington-active-shooter-new-mexico/43895111
3. “At least 3 civilians dead, 2 cops injured in New Mexico shooting: Police” ABC News, 15 May. 2023, https://abcnews.go.com/US/3-civilians-dead-2-cops-injured-new-mexico/story?id=99338934
4. “At least four killed, including suspect, in New Mexico shooting” The Jerusalem Post, 15 May. 2023, https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-743162
5. “At least 3 people killed, 2 cops injured in New Mexico shooting” Axios, 15 May. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/05/15/farmington-new-mexico-mass-shooting
6. “Gunman who killed 3 people and injured 2 officers in Farmington, New Mexico, was 18 years old, police say” CNN, 15 May. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/15/us/farmington-new-mexico-shooting/index.html
7. “Four dead in shooting in New Mexico” Sky News, 15 May. 2023, https://news.sky.com/story/four-dead-in-shooting-in-new-mexico-12881843
8. “At least 4 dead in New Mexico mass shooting: police” msnNOW, 16 May. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/at-least-4-dead-in-new-mexico-mass-shooting-police/ar-AA1bec0C?li=BBnbcA1