Alex Murdaugh Takes the Stand in Colleton County Courthouse Trial
Alex Murdaugh is on trial for the June 7, 2021 murders of his wife, 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh, and youngest son, 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh, at their hunting property in Colleton County, S.C. He is being represented by defense attorneys Phillip Barber and Dick Harpootlian and, on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2023, he was seen in the Colleton County Courthouse in Walterboro, S.C. listening to the defense's testimonies. The question of whether or not Murdaugh will testify in his own defense has been hotly debated since the beginning of the proceedings and multiple media outlets have reported that Murdaugh will take the stand today.
Jim Griffin, one of Murdaugh's defense attorneys, indicated in court Feb. 22 that his client would certainly testify if Judge Clifton Newman agreed to prevent prosecutors from asking Murdaugh incriminating questions about his alleged financial crimes. In addition to murder charges, Murdaugh faces nearly 100 other counts related to the alleged financial misdeeds.
Murdaugh took the stand and testified that he was with Maggie and Paul at the dog kennels of the family’s hunting estate just minutes before they were fatally shot. He said that the dogs were running around and that one of the dogs, Bubba, had chased and caught a chicken. He also said that he took the chicken out of the dog's mouth and placed it on top of a dog crate at the kennel before he left.
Forensic engineer Mike Sutton testified that at least two of the rounds that were fired at Maggie Murdaugh were shot by someone who was roughly 5'2 to 5'4, and that it was very unlikely 6'4 Alex Murdaugh fired those rounds. He also testified that for Murdaugh to have fired that round he would have to be shooting from at or near his knee caps.
Murdaugh maintains his innocence and claims he did not shoot his wife or son. His trial continues with no definite answer of when the defense will rest their case.
0. “LIVE FEED – ‘Murdaugh Murders' Trial: Day Twenty-Three” FITSNews, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.fitsnews.com/2023/02/23/live-feed-murdaugh-murders-trial-day-twenty-three/
1. “Fiery testimony in Alex Murdaugh murder trial shows risk, reward of calling witnesses” Charleston Post Courier, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.postandcourier.com/murdaugh-updates/fiery-testimony-in-alex-murdaugh-murder-trial-shows-risk-reward-of-calling-witnesses/article_2a08f8a4-b2e3-11ed-8735-a72e061fd8de.html
2. “‘Paranoid' Murdaugh Admits Lying About His Whereabouts on Night of Murders” The Daily Beast, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.thedailybeast.com/alex-murdaugh-expected-to-take-the-stand-in-his-own-defense
3. “Happening now: Alex Murdaugh testifies at his murder trial” NPR, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.npr.org/2023/02/23/1158972090/murdaugh-testifies-murders-trial
4. “Murdaugh trial updates: Week 5 opens with defense in double murder” Greenville News, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/crime/2023/02/21/alex-murdaugh-trial-updates-live-stream-week-5-walterboro-sc/69922447007/
5. “Alex Murdaugh says he will take the stand to testify in his double murder trial” KOMU 8, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.komu.com/news/nationworld/alex-murdaugh-says-he-will-take-the-stand-to-testify-in-his-double-murder-trial/article_d7d71ac1-cd54-5f0b-9a95-6f4ea72cfeeb.html