Alex Murdaugh Takes the Stand at His Own Murder Trial
WALTERBORO, S.C. (FOX Carolina) – Alex Murdaugh took the stand in his own defense Thursday to testify in the murder trial where he is charged with killing his wife and son. Against the advice of his attorneys, he forcefully denied killing his wife and son while also admitting he repeatedly lied to investigators about his whereabouts on the night they were slain.
Murdaugh is accused of killing his wife, Maggie, and 22-year-old son, Paul Murdaugh, in June 2021. Prosecutors allege Murdaugh killed his wife and son to gain sympathy and buy time to cover up financial crimes that were about to be discovered.
On the stand, Murdaugh was questioned by his attorney Jim Griffin on whether he shot Paul. Despite his counsel's advice, he took the stand. To conclude his questioning, Griffin inquired of Murdaugh one last time if he had murdered Maggie or Paul.
“No, I did not,” Murdaugh replied. “Mr. Griffin, I did not shoot my wife or my son anytime. Ever.”
Waters questioned Murdaugh about his financial misconduct and opioid addiction. Prosecutors contend that Murdaugh killed his wife and son to deflect from his theft of nearly $9 million from his law firm and clients. He admitted to lying to investigators about where he was the night Paul and Maggie Murdaugh were murdered on the family’s property in June 2021.
Murdaugh said he never manufactured any alibi in any way shape or form because he did not and would not hurt his wife and child. He also admitted during questioning that he stole $3.7 million in client money in 2019 — the same year that his son Paul drunkenly crashed his boat into a bridge.
With tears streaming down his face, Murdaugh testified that once he started lying, he felt he had to continue: “Oh, what a tangled web we weave. Once I told a lie – I told my family – I had to keep lying.”
The day before, Murdaugh had been confronted by his colleagues at the law firm concerning the allegation that he had taken money from them. He was subsequently forced to resign.
“Very cooperative except maybe the most important fact of all, that you were at the murder scene with the victims just minutes before they died,” Waters replied.
The trial is ongoing, and Murdaugh will likely face more questions as the prosecution probes him on the alleged motive.
0. “Mallory Beach boat crash: Alex Murdaugh testifies in his murder trial exactly 4 years after fatal boat crash involving his son” CBS News, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mallory-beach-boat-crash-death-alex-murdaugh-paul-murdaugh
1. “Alex Murdaugh trial live updates: Murdaugh to continue testifying” USA TODAY, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/02/24/alex-murdaugh-trial-live-updates-testimony/11337571002
2. “Prosecutors Keep Focus on Alex Murdaugh's Lies During Testimony” The Wall Street Journal, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.wsj.com/articles/alex-murdaugh-testimony-day-two-state-set-to-continue-cross-examination-29dd9e55
3. “Upstate attorney examines Alex Murdaugh's testimony at trial” WYFF4 Greenville, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.wyff4.com/article/south-carolina-attorney-examines-alex-murdaughs-testimony-at-trial/43052414
4. “Alex Murdaugh admits he lied for years to family, friends and clients. Did he also lie to the jury?” WJCL News Savannah, 25 Feb. 2023, https://www.wjcl.com/article/murdaugh-trial-live-stream-21/43056007
5. “Alex Murdaugh ‘Fuzzy' About New Details of Case, Prosecutor Says” NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/watch-live-alex-murdaugh-back-on-stand-in-double-murder-trial/3201762
6. “Alex Murdaugh testifies he is not a ‘family annihilator' at his double murder trial” Fox News, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/us/alex-murdaugh-admits-first-claimed-dog-kennels-court
7. “Feb 23: Alex Murdaugh admits to lying to investigators, denies killing wife and son” Charleston Post Courier, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.postandcourier.com/murdaugh-updates/feb-23-alex-murdaugh-admits-to-lying-to-investigators-denies-killing-wife-and-son/article_19290c24-b165-11ed-827c-cf586e2b5864.html